Better With Sprinkles

The Colourful Side to Healthy Living.

The Other 20 Percent.

3 Comments

According to a lot of advice that I’ve read, healthy living is supposed to be eating healthy 80% of the time. Dinner tonight? Definitely falls into the other 20%.

But first up…

Lunch

I had a craving for grilled cheese today. When I woke up it was pretty rainy and dreary; perfect grilled cheese conditions. By lunchtime? Humid and sunny. That’s ok though, melty cheese is always appropriate.

Then I remembered that there was a panini press hidden in the cabinet. I love paninis with lots of cheese. It’s like grilled cheese 2.0.

 

That’s goat cheese, mozzarella, ham, spinach and tomato on whole wheat bread, pressed to melty perfection. A spinach salad with honey dijon dressing on the side. I didn’t finish all the salad – was not feeling it today.

Dinner

There’s a lot of leftovers in the house right now, so my original plan for dinner tonight was leftover trout and chicken, potato salad and steaming up some broccoli.

But….

Nadine (the MIL) and her friend Sharon wanted to celebrate the fact that they started vacation today, so they asked Eric and I if we wanted to go to Kelsey’s with them for another appetizer night.

Umm….yea! 

So once again, we each picked something to share with the table.

My pick: BBQ Chicken Flatbread. Buffalo BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, bacon, braised onions, green onions and four types of cheese.

 

Anything covered in BBQ sauce and cheese is expected to be pretty damn awesome, and this did not disappoint!

Sharon’s pick: The Feta Bruschetta Flatbread – basil pesto, tomatoes, basil and feta cheese.

 

We got this last time we were at Kelsey’s. It was amazing before and it was amazing again.

Eric’s pick: Loaded Potato Skins: fried skins topped with bacon, 3 cheeses, green onions and sour cream on the side.

 

This was my first time having potato skins in about 10 years. Meh – haven’t been missing much. For me, it’s sweet potatoes or nothing.

Nadine’s pick: Four Cheese Spinach Dip: cheese, spinach, red pepper and onion served with pita wedges.

 

Another repeat of last time. It’s what Kelsey’s is known for – can’t really go wrong. And we always choose baked over fried pita chips – that counts for something, right?

Just for fun: Jack Daniels’ BBQ-sauced wings

 

I like BBQ sauce. And I like Jacks. Therefore, the two of them together makes me happy. 🙂

To drink, I ordered:

 

Half of me ordered it because it sounded good, half of me ordered it because of the Seth Rogen/James Franco stoner movie reference. 🙂

 

I was pretty much guaranteed to like this. My favourite mixed drink is a White Freezie – Raspberry Sourpuss, banana liquor and (diet) Sprite. This was the same thing but with added pineapple juice – win.

My food choices for the evening:

  • one piece BBQ chicken flatbread
  • two pieces bruschetta
  • 1 chicken wing (+ the carrot stick)
  • 1/2 potato skin
  • my share (one fifth to one quarter) of the dip and pita wedges.

 

Now? I’m stuffed. My stomach kind of hates me but my tastebuds are extremely satisfied. 🙂

So was this dinner even remotely resembling anything healthy? God no. And Eric and I are going out for Mexican for our anniversary dinner, so tomorrow night will be indulgent as well.

But it’s all about balance, right? I eat well most of the time so the occasional night(or two) like this is no big deal. In the end, I was happy and that’s all that matters. 🙂

(Realized now how much freakin’ cheese I ate today. Ridiculous).

<– Best indulgence recently?

<– What’s your favourite rainy day foods? Grilled cheese and/or soup are my go-tos when it’s icky out.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “The Other 20 Percent.

  1. ahhhh i can’t tell you how much i love warm ham & cheese sandwiches, or grilled cheese w/ ham. thank you for reminding me to bust out my panini press….that i’ve never used. ah!! 🙂 best rainy day food? soup…or french fries. ha! OR ICE CREAM. makes sense? no. 🙂

  2. Pingback: Almost Too Good + Mexican Night. « Better With Sprinkles

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s