I love chocolate. I love peanut butter. It’s pretty much the best combination ever.
But for snacking purposes, I want something tasty with a quick burst of energy. Healthy fats and carbs, with a decent hit of protein as well. And if I could do all that and keep the calorie count in check – then even better.
And clearly, it needed to taste delicious.
So, these little balls were born.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Balls
makes 15-20 balls. Inspired by this recipe from Heather’s Dish.
- 10 pitted honey dates
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 scoops chocolate peanut butter protein powder (chocolate, vanilla or peanut butter would work just as well!)
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Combine dates in food processor. Add peanuts (in sections at a time, if you have a crap food processor like I do) until ground.
2. Add maple syrup, protein powder and oats and continue to process.
3. When ground, scrape into a large bowl. Add chocolate chips and mix.
4. Scoop up and press firmly, shaping into balls.
5. Keep refrigerated in a tightly sealed container.
Kinda like cute little round cookies!
This recipe can easily be made vegan as well, if you use vegan protein powder and chocolate chips.
If you make 20 energy balls, you’re looking at approximately 106 calories, 5 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat per ball.
Delicious and healthy – clearly a winner.