1. I bought a massive jar of almond butter about a month ago and have been eagerly awaiting it’s demise.
For some protein oats in a jar, of course! (clearly that was a massive jar. That’s 1/3 cup cooked oats + toppings and it barely got halfway up).
1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/3 cup oats, 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 1/2 scoop protein powder, thrown into a jar with cheerios and Cinnamon Chex. Delicious.
2. I’ve been eating the same post-workout snack for the last several weeks and I have no intention of changing it.
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a frozen banana, 1 scoop Cookies and Cream Whey Gourmet protein powder, and a handful of spinach. Super thick and custard-y. Of course, eaten with a spoon.
3. Speaking of workouts, I have yet to see another girl in the school gym lift anything heavier than ten pounds. It’s just me and a sea of testosterone over by the squat rack here.
4. My birthday is next Wednesday. That means I am officially in pre-birthday week. First birthday present to myself? A shiny manicure.
The picture sucks and I am far too lazy to try again, but I assure you that it’s pretty.
O.P.I. colours – I remember looking at the bottles and thinking “I should remember the names of these for later!” Did I? Of course not. But the manicure was cheap ($15 all in) and they did a good job, so this may become a regular occurrence. And yes, I have the shortest nails ever. I wore gel nails for about 5 years and just got them removed about 3 months ago. My natural nails are still recovering.
P.S. I love me an accent nail.
5. I have a paper due next week that I meant to start yesterday. Absolutely did not happen. So guess what I’m doing today?
6. The comments on my last post were awesome. I’m glad you guys realize how ridiculous labeling our food is and that guilt is not necessary.
7. Speaking of no food guilt, I had fast food for dinner last night. No other reason besides it sounded good and I had no intention of cooking.
I was absolutely TERRIFIED of fast food for so long. It was greasy, it was unholy, it could not go anywhere near my body.
Not the case anymore, apparently. The only fast food burger in my life I’ve ever liked (and I mean ever, I’ve never even touched a Big Mac) is Wendy’s Bacon Mushroom Melt. I know I like it, but I haven’t had one since I was about 12. Whenever it came out (it’s a rotating item), I would always tell myself I would try one again. Every single time, I would wuss out – fast food was still a bit of a fear food for me. I could handle the occasional fast food salad or chicken sandwich, but a regular burger I had trouble wrapping my head around. No time like the present though! We each got a burger, plus I stole some of Eric’s fries.
It tasted just as I remembered it. A greasy, melty, drippy mess, but a tasty one! I didn’t love it enough that I feel the need to make it a regular habit, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Plus the stomachache and bloating that happened afterwards is ensuring it’ll be a while before I have the stuff again.
So the lesson here? Fast food once in a blue moon won’t kill me. In terms of my recovery, this was another tiny step I still had to make. Not because I want to eat fast food often, but because I need to understand that EVERYTHING is fine in moderation. I feel like I’ve almost entirely wrapped my head around that concept – I still struggle once in a while of course, but I think I’m doing extremely well.
8. Speaking of fast food, it’s interesting how much it’s demonized in the healthy living blogosphere (that I’ve noticed, feel free to disagree, of course). You can eat froyo several times a week and it’s fine if you eat sweet potato fries at every restaurant you go to, but to actually eat fast food causes a lot of shame and need for justifications. Almost every time I’ve seen fast food on a blog, it’s followed by “I had absolutely no other option” or “it was a dumb decision.” Not that you should be eating it on a regular basis, but I don’t think it warrants any more thought than any other bout of less-nutritious meals.
9. I’m writing this at 11 pm on a Friday night, and I’m about ready for bed. Yup, I’m an old lady.
<— Did you ever wear gel nails? I miss mine, but it was too expensive of a habit to keep up when I got laid off and then went back to school.
<— What’s your favourite fast food item? Or, what was it when you were a kid? I used to love me some McNuggets.