I got my paper done yesterday that I was working on as well as all my readings for next week, so I get a bit of a free day today. Fortunately the paper was only a 3-4 page-r as opposed to the 15 page paper I wrote last week, so it didn’t take me nearly as long.
I did groceries yesterday and realized I haven’t done a shopping/meal plan post in a while. So…clearly I’m doing on today.
Yesterday I hit up the farmer’s market, 2 grocery stores, and WalMart (I have my main grocery store and the market, and then I check flyers for sales at other stores/WalMart. I am a bargain shopper, what can I say?)
So here’s the haul!
- spreadable butter (I would rather eat butter than margarine, but I was sick of destroying my toast everything I time I’d try to butter it. So this will do!)
- egg whites
- unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I usually buy Almond Breeze, but thought I’d give Silk a try)
- 2 portions herb and white wine salmon from the seafood counter
- whole chicken (it’s buried back there somewhere. They had a sale on at Zehr’s for chickens at $5.00, so I was the crazy person throwing chickens around trying to find the biggest one)
- Basa fillets
- eggs (always go for the flat – we eat a lot of eggs here)
- natural lunch meat – deli ham
- unpictured cottage cheese
- precut broccoli and cauliflower (more expensive to buy the prechopped stuff, but I really hate cutting it. I end up with little broccoli bits stuck on my counter for the next week)
- bananas (of course)
- red onion
- baby spinach
- frozen spinach
- lime juice (I’ll buy real lemons, but I rarely use limes so I’d rather just buy the juice for when I need it
- bell pepper
- whole grain bread
- whole wheat lasagna noodles
- red curry paste
- curry powder
- no name ketchup (that is bargain shopping at it’s best)
- coconut milk (can you tell I’m planning a curry of sorts?)
And then me, just earning some girlfriend points.
Boy loves his Kettle chips. I aim to please.
I tried a handful and they were really tasty!
I managed to come $10 under budget this week. Useful, because Eric and I have to do laundry this week (seriously, why are laundromats so expensive? Awful).
When I grocery shop, I shop with a meal plan in mind. I get the basics for breakfast, lunches and snacks (eggs, bread, english muffins, egg whites, stuff for salads, lunch meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, nuts, cereal, etc.) and then I plan dinners for the week. I usually plan for 5 meals, leaving two for leftovers, dinners out or quick meals (grilled cheese, anyone?)
So the meal plan for October 20th – October 27th.
- Saturday: Wouldn’t-Believe-It’s-Healthy Lasagna
- Sunday: salmon, brown rice and broccoli
- Monday: roast chicken, sweet potatoes and salad
- Tuesday: shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches
- Wednesday: going out for dinner cause it’s my BIRTHDAY!! (can you tell I’m excited?)
- Thursday: curried fish, brown rice and cauliflower
- Friday: leftovers/out/wing it because that will be when we go out for the birthday!
According to said meal plan, I had my favourite lasagna on the menu. Eric’s friend was coming over, so I wanted a big, easy meal that I knew was going to be tasty. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out and he wasn’t able to come, but it means that Eric and I have lunches for a while.
Too impatient to let it set properly = messy, delicious plate.
(plus one more square that managed to make it into my mouth before I took the picture)
Camino dark chocolate + coconut. Definitely happiness-inducing on a Saturday night.
And I couldn’t rest knowing that yesterday’s manicure picture was subpar.
Enjoy the last day of the weekend, everyone!
<— Do you have a washing machine? Or do you have to laundromat it like me?
<— Any meals you have planned this week that you’re excited about? I’ve never actually made a curry before, so I’m excited to see how Thursday’s dinner comes out.