Good morning! If you were out for St. Patty’s last night, I hope you had a fabulous time, and same goes if you’re heading out tonight to celebrate! With the holiday being on a Sunday this year, I have absolutely no idea if people are going Saturday night (which would be more fun) or Sunday (which would make for a terrible work hangover Monday, but date-wise it’s more appropriate). The fact that I have no idea makes it pretty obvious that I’m not really celebrating it, doesn’t it?
I’ve never really been one to go all out on the holiday – last year, I was working an overnight shift, so clearly wasn’t getting into the spirit then. And the year before, I have absolutely no idea what I was doing. Either way, I hate beer, so I’m not missing anything by not drinking the green variety this weekend
But because I love making food reflect the spirit of the holiday, I am planning on making beef stew for tonight with Jenna’s Irish Oatmeal Soda Bread. I’ve never actually had soda bread, never mind made it, so hopefully it turns out well.
I had to split my shopping into two parts this weekend, so I give you grocery haul one and grocery haul two.
One – Proteins, Grains and Frozen Foods
- shaved ham
- frozen meals (boyfriend lunches)
- english muffins (they were on sale, so there’s three bags back there. I keep them frozen and thaw one bag at a time)
- egg whites
- cottage cheese
- white kidney beans (apparently ‘Haricots blancs’, because I failed to notice I was pointing the French side at you)
- canned green chilis
- kale (I’m as surprised as you are with this one. I’ve never tried kale chips, so I figured it was as good of a time as any)
- baby carrots
Proteins, Grains and Dairy
- white flour
- stewing beef
- 2 whole chickens
- kitchen garbage bags
- Mr. Big bar (I had Eric with me for round two. We were waiting in line when we grabbed it and threw it the cart and declared “impulse purchase!” Fair enough – and yes, it’s already gone).
- caramelized onion hummus (love)
- mio (sometimes I get bored with plain water, so I like to keep one of these around)
- Vaseline body butter (I swear by this stuff)
- red bell pepper
- 10 lbs potatoes (expect to see a lot of potatoes around for a while…)
- Saturday: out
- Sunday: aforementioned beef stew and soda bread
- Monday: salmon, rice and cauliflower
- Tuesday: BBQ Chicken wraps
- Wednesday: pulled chicken nachos
- Thursday: wing it/leftovers
- Friday: White Chicken Chili (Caitlin gave me a craving for chili, but I decided to mix it up and try a version with chicken and white beans).
So, we’ve all heard the news about Google Reader.
I spent some time playing around with BlogLovin’ yesterday – I’m still adjusting, but it seems to be a nice alternative to Reader! I’ll miss it, but I suppose all good things must come to an end.
And of course, when you make your switch to BlogLovin’ (I’ve been hearing some good things about Feedly as well) remember to follow me! –> Button’s over on the side there! 🙂
Have a fabulous St. Patty’s!
<— What are your St. Patty’s plans?
<— Have you made the switch off of Reader yet?
<— Any methods/recipes for making kale chips? We’ll see how well this turns out.